AME 20214 Final Exam/Project

Due 5:00pm Thursday, December 11, 2008 in Dr. Goodwine's mailbox in the AME Department office.
goodwine
Site Admin

AME 20214 Final Exam/Project

Post by goodwine »

You may not consult anyone other than the instructor or the class TAs regarding this exam. If you do obtain any information about how to do this exam, inadvertently or otherwise, you must disclose it to the course instructor by email or contacting him personally.

Write a FORTRAN77 program that uses Gauss-Jordan elimination with row shifting to solve a system of linear algebraic equations.
  1. It should read the data in from a file called data.d. The first number in data.d will be an integer, N, that indicates the size of the system. For example, if it is a 5, the matrix will be 5x5 and the solution will have 5 elements. The next N^2 terms will be the matrix and the last N terms will be the "b" vector in Ax=b. The largest matrix size will be 100x100.
  2. During the forward reduction phase, row shifting should be used to put the element with the largest magnitude at or below the diagonal element into the pivot position. You should use your subroutine from Homework 9 to do the row shifting.
  3. If the largest magnitude possible for a pivot term is less than 10E-6, a warning message should be printed that the matrix is ill-conditioned.
  4. Test your program on the following data files. Your final program should always use row shifting, but for debugging purposes, the first file should work without row shifting. The second file requires row shifting. I don't know what will happen with the third file. The fourth file has a matrix A and vector b for which there is no solution x, so your program should print a warning for that.
  5. Here is the program and data file from class on December 4.
Bill Goodwine, 376 Fitzpatrick
AL089

Re: AME 20214 Final Exam/Project

Post by AL089 »

Adam Letcher
Final Project
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lmaddox

Post by lmaddox »

i uploaded the wrong file -- please disregard the previous elimination

thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whiteford

Post by Whiteford »

Proffessor, I accidently uploaded the wrong program to the upload thread and just realized it now. Please disregard/delete my first post in the upload section (the one with Final1_0.f, Final1_3.f is the proper file)
jhollan3

Post by jhollan3 »

Professor, since the AME office is closed over the weekend should we hand in a hardcopy of the project on Monday to your drop box? I have already uploaded the code.

Thanks,
Jon Holland
gallsup

Post by gallsup »

final project
goodwine
Site Admin

Post by goodwine »

jhollan3 wrote:Professor, since the AME office is closed over the weekend should we hand in a hardcopy of the project on Monday to your drop box? I have already uploaded the code.
Just the upload is fine. You don't have to submit a paper copy.
Bill Goodwine, 376 Fitzpatrick

Return to “AME 20214, Final Exam/Project”