AME 50650 Course Syllabus

Read this carefully for course policies and procedures, handouts and some potentially useful links.
goodwine
Site Admin

Post by goodwine »

University of Notre Dame
Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering

Instructor: TA:
  • Ashley Nettleman
    Office: B22 Fitzpatrick
    Email: akulczyc@nd.edu
    Office Hours: TBD
Time and Place
  • 118 DeBartolo Hall
    MWF 3:30-4:20
Grading

Homework will be assigned most classes and will be due at the beginning of the class two classes after it is assigned. If a homework is submitted after the beginning of the following class but before the beginning of the class after that it will receive 50% credit. Assignments submitted after that will receive no credit. The three lowest homework grades for each person will be discarded. There probably will not be a final exam; however, I reserve the right to change my mind. I will announce before Thanksgiving break the nature of the final exam. It will count for between 0 and 50% of your final grade.

Course Text

There is no required text for the course. I will provide handouts for almost every lecture. Two sets of notes are available: 1) an old, but complete set and 2) a set that will typically be updated right before class. Highly recommended references are the following:
  • Nonlinear Systems, Third Edition, Prentice Hall, Hassan K. Khalil
  • Nonlinear Systems: Analysis, Stability and Control, Springer, Shankar S. Sastry
Homework Policy

Collaboration on homeworks is encouraged. However everything you submit must be the result of your own intellectual effort and accurately and substantively reflect your understanding of the subject matter at the time of writing. Many homework problems will be of the nature determining a system that exhibits certain characteristics. In such cases, if you work collaboratively with another student you must find different answers/systems. Any activity that violates the Academic Code of Honor, either in letter or spirit, is prohibited.

Topics
  1. Fractional-Order Calculus and Differential Equations
  2. Introduction to Nonlinear Phenomena
  3. Nomenclature and Definitions
  4. Linearization of Nonlinear Equations
  5. Describing Functions (expanded)
  6. Lyapunov Stability
  7. Control and Lyapunov Stability
  8. Linearized Stability
  9. Introduction to Adaptive Control
  10. Stability of Nonautonomous Systems and Boundedness
  11. Center Manifold Theory