Course Syllabus

Read this carefully for course policies and procedures.
goodwine
Site Admin

Course Syllabus

Post by goodwine »

University of Notre Dame
Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering

EG 34440: Probability and Statistics

Instructor: TAs:
  • TBD
Time and Place:
  • Some place in Rome
Course Web Page: Grading :
  • The final grade will be based on homework sets, daily in-class (sakai) quizzes and a final exam.
    1. Homework 30%
    2. Quizzes 30%
    3. Final exam 40%
  • Any student missing an examination, quiz or other deadline for work without an excuse under section 3.1.3 of the Undergraduate Academic Code will receive a grade of zero for that component of the grade.
  • Guaranteed grades: if your score satisfies these conditions, you will receive the indicated grade or better.
    1. (overall grade > mean + 1.5 stdev) OR (overall grade > 90%): A-
    2. (overall grade > mean + 0.5 stdev) OR (overall grade > 80%): B-
    3. (overall grade > mean - 1.0 stdev) OR (overall grade > 70%): C-
    4. (overall grade > mean - 2.0 stdev) OR (overall grade > 60%): D
    5. (overall grade < mean - 2.0 stdev): F
Summer in Rome:
  • For the unwary, it is easy to fall behind in a summer engineering international studies program.
  • During the academic year a 3-credit course meets for 150 minutes per week. Our class time is 120 minutes per day! If you miss or are inattentive for one class, it is like missing nearly one week during the semester.
  • Homework for one day is like homework for one week during the semester.
  • You should be able to do two of the following three
    1. do well in this class
    2. travel every weekend
    3. spend a significant amount of time chilling at the piazza every day,
    but there are probably not enough hours in a day for most students to successfully do all three.
Homework Policy:
  1. Homework sets will be assigned daily and will be due before the beginning of the next class. Late homework will not be accepted without permission from the instructor prior to the time it is due.
  2. Students must submit their homeworks with their Notre Dame ID number (ndID) written on the homework.
  3. All material that is submitted for credit must be the result of your own individual effort and accurately and substantively reflect your understanding of the subject matter at the time of writing.
  4. Collaboration on homework assignments in encouraged. Unless otherwise prohibited, you may consult outside reference materials, other students, the TAs, or the instructor.
  5. Examples of allowed activities include:
    1. working on homeworks and projects as a group provided every member of the group submits material that is consistent with paragraph 3 above;
    2. obtaining help debugging computer programs provided that the computer program submitted is consistent with paragraph 3 above.
  6. Examples of dishonest activities include:
    1. unless expressly allowed by the instructor, submitting material that is not entirely the result of your own intellectual effort;
    2. submitting material that is intentionally misleading such as plots or graphs that were not generated by an accompanying computer code listing, a computer code listing that is purported to be correct that is not or a homework problem that has the correct answer that does not result from the work preceding it;
    3. having another person take an on-line quiz for you;
    4. submitting material that is copied, wholly or in part, in any form; and,
    5. any activity not expressly allowed above that violates either the letter or spirit of the University Academic Code of Honor.
  7. You may not consult homework solutions from online sources or prior versions of this course. If you submit a homework with a mistake that appears on the solution from another source that is unlikely to happen by chance an investigation into a possible honor code violation will be pursued.
Some Student and Professor Obligations:
  • I consider it part of my job to make it as easy as possible for you to develop a mature and sophisticated understanding of probability and statistics and how it is used in engineering. As such, I am happy to answer any and all questions you may have (or to direct you to others, if I think they could do so better) as many times as is necessary to help further this goal, provided that you meet your similar obligation to make a substantive and mature effort to achieve the same goal. Hence:
    • If you regularly attend class, are not disruptive, make an effort to make class time productive for yourself and others, outside of class study the material and regularly complete the assignments, I will make every effort to promptly respond to any communication addressed to me.
    • If you skip class, are generally disruptive, inattentive, texting, surfing the web, completing other coursework, reading the paper, doing the crossword puzzle, etc., I will answer your questions at a time that is convenient for me, which may be never. If you ask questions regarding administrative matters, e.g., test coverage, that I already announced in class, I will not answer them.
    The rationale for this policy is to both manage my workload as well as to prepare you for the realities of the professional world.
Course Text:
  • The required text for the course is Applied Statistics for Engineers and Scientists, 3d edition by Devore, Farnum and Doi.
  • If you purchase the 2nd edition, almost all the course content will be in it, but I can not guarantee that the assigned homework problem numbers will be the same as in that edition. If you do that, always check the homework assignments with someone with the 3d edition.
Subject Outline:
  • This course covers the book in order. It is an introduction to the theory of probability and statistics, with applications to the computer sciences and engineering. Topics include discrete and continuous random variables, joint probability distributions, the central limit theorem, point and interval estimation and hypothesis testing.
Bill Goodwine, 376 Fitzpatrick

Return to “Course Administration”