Homework 1, due September 5, 2007

Due Wednesday, September 5, 2007.
goodwine
Site Admin

Homework 1, due September 5, 2007

Post by goodwine »

Read Chapter 1, which particular emphasis on sections 1.4-1.6 in the course text.

Do Problem 1.1.
Bill Goodwine, 376 Fitzpatrick
irish07

Post by irish07 »

There is an mistake on page 4 line 15:

An example of the way the Cartesian product is used is when vectors are use to represent something.

I think use should be used.
goodwine
Site Admin

Post by goodwine »

irish07 wrote:There is an mistake on page 4 line 15:

An example of the way the Cartesian product is used is when vectors are use to represent something.

I think use should be used.
Thanks! But please post this under the "Text Errata" link so that all the corrections to the text book appear in the same place.
mbrundag

Post by mbrundag »

I just wanted to know for a nonlinear diff. eq. do we have to write if it's homogenous/inhomogenous, or constant/variable coefficient since you said these distinctions were for linear differential equations

thanks
goodwine
Site Admin

Post by goodwine »

mbrundag wrote:I just wanted to know for a nonlinear diff. eq. do we have to write if it's homogenous/inhomogenous, or constant/variable coefficient since you said these distinctions were for linear differential equations

thanks
No you do not have to. If you do that's o.k. too.
Webby

Post by Webby »

Hey, I just wanted to make sure that it would be fine to use different symbols to represent the same variables used in the text.
An example is #7 instead of using that swiggle thing (not gamma or alpha), I used x.
Thanks
goodwine
Site Admin

Post by goodwine »

Webby wrote:Hey, I just wanted to make sure that it would be fine to use different symbols to represent the same variables used in the text.
An example is #7 instead of using that swiggle thing (not gamma or alpha), I used x.
Thanks
The problem just asks you to identify the type of equation. If it helps you to re-write it in the usual variables, that's fine with me.

Return to “AME 30314, Homework 1”