AME 40590 Homeworks, Spring 2011
From Bill Goodwine's WikiJump to navigationJump to search
Due Friday, January 21, 2011
- Read Bonito Boats v. Thunder Craft, 489 U.S. 141 (1989)
- There certainly will be plenty of confusing stuff in this case since you don't know any patent law or much judicial procedure yet. The main point of reading the case is that it is a good explanation of the constitutional basis for patent law, some relevant sections of the US Code, the history of patent law, etc. Whoever the unlucky person is that is called on to discuss this will sort of be on the spot, that's the way it goes...
- If you don't like the formatting in the wiki, you can get a better formatted version through Westlaw. There is a "find a document by citation" search box on the left side of the page. This should lead to the case as well.
Due Monday, January 24, 2011
- Find and read a US patent that was issued between January 1, 1980 and January 1, 1990. It should involve a technical subject area in which you have some competence and interest. This patent will serve as the basis for many of your assignments, so spend a little time to pick one that you sort of like and think is complicated enough to be interesting, yet simple enough that you will be able to add or remove features from it. An example of the type of homework you will have to do will be to describe another invention that would have made this one clearly not patentable, or an invention in a related field that would not bar its patentability, etc.
- On your wiki page (log in and click on your name along the top) edit your page to add a description, in plain English, of what the invention is. Format it in a reasonable manner. The wiki stuff is easy to modify and re-organize, but it may be worth giving some thought to how you will organize it, e.g., links to each different homework, related things on a single page, etc.
My Selected US Patent
- Patent 4817219: The Sitting Bathtub
- Date issued: April 4,1989
- The idea behind my selected patent was to find an invention which helped disabled people function more easily on a daily basis. Design methodology with Professor Batill inspired my interest in this subject. I came across this idea searching the US Patent database. I decided upon this invention because I have seen similar products out on the market, have seen advertisements on TV, and wanted to find distictions between this patent and other products. So here is the website which describes the Sitting Bathtub: []